“The practice of chiropody is the assessment of the foot and the treatment and prevention of diseases, disorders or dysfunctions of the foot by therapeutic, orthotic or palliative means.”
Common conditions that chiropody treats:
- Arthritic complications
- Athlete’s foot infections
- Biomechanical exams
- Callus and corn reduction (manual reduction and off-loading therapies)
- Custom made foot orthotics
- Diabetic foot care
- Digital deformations (bunions, claw and hammer toes)
- Heel pain
- Ingrown toe nails
- Nail care (thick, fungal and/or disfigured nails)
- Paediatric and geriatric patients
- Skin hydration issues (anhydrosis, hyperhydrosis)
- Sports injuries
- Wart treatments
- Wound care (including ulcerations)
How Can Chiropodists Help?
Chiropodists are foot specialists that provide diagnoses and high quality treatment for a variety of foot and ankle conditions.
Chiropodists are primary health care providers, so no written referral is needed for patients to receive care. Chiropody services are offered at the Health First Wellness Centre on a fee-for-service basis, which are covered by most extended health care insurance plans.